There are a few basic requirements which are independent of the kind of computer you have. The remaining minimum system requirements for playing our video media will depend upon whether you have a PC or a Macintosh computer.
Video on our site may not play for you if any of the following applies:
- You do not have Windows Media Player installed.
- You have a connection that is too slow (users on dial up with a connection less than 56K will not be able to view video.)
- You have Norton firewall installed, conflicting with video. Some corporate Network firewalls do not allow video to be played.
- You have Spyware that is conflicting with the Video Player.
On a PC:
- 233 MHz processor, such as Intel Pentium II or Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) processor
- 64 MB RAM
- 28.8 Kbps modem
- 100 MB of free hard disk space
- 16-bit sound card
- 256-color video card
Windows 2000 or above, Microsoft's IE 5.0 or above and Windows Media Player 9 will provide the best video performance, but the Video Player is supported on a variety of operating systems and browsers.
Operating Systems that support the Windows MediaPlayer:
Browsers that do NOT support the Windows Media Player:
- Windows 98 Second Edition
- Windows Millennium Edition
- Windows 2000
- Windows XP Home Edition
- Windows XP Professional
- IE 4 and below: We recommend that you upgrade your browser to Internet Explorer 6.0 so that you may view video on this site.
- Netscape 4.x: It is highly recommended that you upgrade your browser to Netscape 7.1, as it comes with the Window Media plug-in and will allow you to view video on this site.
- Netscape 6.2+ with Windows Media Player plug-in installed: You can view video using the Windows Media Player plug-in, but you will not be able to use the video player features. We recommend that you upgrade your browser to Netscape 7.1 so that you may view video on this site.
- Netscape 6.2 without Window Media Player plug-in installed: You can install the Windows Media plug-in by installing the new Windows Media Player depending on your operating system. Or we highly recommend that you upgrade your browser to Netscape 7.1, as it comes with Window Media plug-in and will allow you to view video on this site.
- Netscape 7.x: You can view video, however, you
will not be able to use the video player features (playlist functionality, etc.)
To download the newest version of Internet Explorer, click here.
To download the newest version of Netscape, click here.
See other troubleshooting tips here.
On a Mac:
Users need to have Windows Media Player 7.1 or above to use the Video Player.
Apple has stopped all development of OS 9 after introducing Mac OS 9.2.2 in 2002 and is recommending users on Mac OS 9 upgrade to OS X. (See Tip: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75288.)
See all the relevant Windows Media player downloads for Mac here.
On all Macs, the video plays in the Windows Media player on Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer 5 browsers -- all major browsers should work as long as they have Windows Media Player.